What is Homeopathy?
- Homeopathy is a system of natural medicine introduced and developed by a German physician, Samuel Hahnemann, at the end of the 18th century.
- Recognizing that the whole person-mind, body, spirit-is affected when there is illness, homeopathy seeks to treat that whole person.
- The body manifests symptoms of illness but it is not the origin of the illness.
- The origin of illness lies in an imbalance of the vital force. The symptoms expressed by the body, mind, and spirit are the manifestation of that imbalance.
- Homeopathic medicines, or 'remedies', stimulate the body's self-regulating mechanisms to initiate the healing process and returns the vital force to its balance.
How Homeopathic Remedies Work?
The substance can be used as a homeopathic remedy when the symptoms that the patient is experiencing are similar to the symptoms that a healthy person could get if he takes the same substance.
As an internationally trained doctor, I used to treat an illness by prescribing a medicine which produced opposite or contrary symptoms. For example, diarrhoea could be treated by a substance that caused constipation such as aluminium hydroxide. In homeopathy, by giving a homeopathic China remedy, we created a stronger similar artificial disease and nature's law always says that "the weaker natural disease will disappear through the creation of a stronger medicinal disease. This means that I give the patient the remedy that works in the same direction as the natural defence mechanism of the body to get rid of the organism which causes diarrhea. This leads to smooth, perfect and rapid healing.
Another famous example in my field as a paediatrician is the methylphenidate hydrochloride or Ritalin. This stimulant drug used in conventional medicine as a treatment for hyperactivity disorder in children. They have never been explained why stimulant used to calm an already overstimulated child. Simply, this is another case of "like treating like" as it produces the same symptoms it treats. Unfortunately, it is not used in homeopathic doses, so it produces many side effects.
Moreover, modern allergy treatment utilizes the homeopathic approach by the use of repeated small doses of allergens in order to create a slowly progressive antibody response.
- Enhance the immune system (not suppression)
- Easy to use, few infrequent doses
- Used safely with your conventional medicines
- Can be helpful in some conditions when conventional medicine couldn't help e.g. chronic pain, fibromyalgia
What Diseases Could Homeopathy Treats?
Homeopathy is a type of alternative medicine that focuses on the vital force of the human body. Homeopathy doesn't treat disease, it treats the patient as a whole. The goal of homeopathic treatment is to achieve a maximum curative effect with minimum side effects.
Homeopathy can be used to treat almost any illness for which you would normally visit your family doctor for. Homeopathic remedies can be safely taken in conjunction with conventional medicine.
Homeopathy can treat conditions that do not necessarily fall into a particular 'disease category'. Many people have chronic fatigue or apparently vague disorders, which are difficult to be managed with conventional medicine.
Every day pressures of working life, parenthood, mid-life crises, difficulties in a relationship, retirement and other issues can affect the health of men and women in various ways, which can also be treated with homeopathy.
Also, homeopathic natural remedies are used for baby colic, teething, irritability, and restlessness at bedtime, fevers, and other childhood diseases.
It can be used to treat a wide range of short & long-term illnesses, as seen here.